The Shisha Dance
DVD review by Martha
posted January 13, 2010
This is a self produced DVD that starts with a very entertaining and fun performance. It continues with a brief introduction of how Galit Mersand started dancing with the shisha, and then it takes you through a step by step instruction of how to assemble your shisha, how to hold it and how to smoke it.
Inside the DVD case there’s a booklet that has many of the steps written down that are going to be taught in the DVD. I am watching this DVD holding my booklet waiting to stand up and dance along Galit. After twenty minutes into footage of her dancing you finally get to stand up and follow the wonderful instruction. The setting is a dance studio with a teacher talking with a foreign accent. She demonstrates each step, then does it with music, and in this case, again with the shisha.
There is a segment that focuses on framing your body with the shisha while dancing. Also included are several ways to enter and traveling steps are explained along with the details on where the shisha is placed along the body. She teaches you steps that are recommended to use within your shisha dance. Galit dedicates a whole segment to exiting combinations.
Galit takes a moment to say that she is not recommending smoking and that it’s not her intention to make you smoke.
I did not find other DVDs of this kind for comparison. I have only seen a video clip on you tube in which Fifi Abdou is dancing and smoking shisha. But she doesn’t dance with the shisha. Somebody holds it for her. In fact, in this live performance clip of Fifi she barely dances! She uses some shoulder shimmies, a few signature hip drops here and there, but she is never holding the shisha. Then the dancing part comes in the second video. No offense to Fifi Abdo’s fans, because Fifi is one of the greatest dancers of clear movement. Her movements look effortless and crisp, with clean technique, but I never saw her dancing with the shisha at the same time like Galit. I surfed the net for these Fifi videos because on Galit’s website she notes that her shisha dance was inspired by Fifís shisha dance. Inspired, not copied! Tarik Sultan is another dancer that dances with a shisha but in another entertaining way, by balancing it on the head while playing finger cymbals.
This DVD is 59 minutes and it’s for an intermediate dancer or advanced performer. A beginner would be left with many questions of stylizations and movement fundamentals.
This is a unique dvd for the performer who wants to widen her horizons.
The quality of the production is average, not a high tech production, but enough quality to make it worth every cent.
Zill Rating:3 zill
Ready for more?
- 6-17-08 Tito Seif: The Moment of Eternal Shimmy by Stavros Stavrou Karayanni photos by Samira and Masouma, videos by Lynette -3rd video has shisha dance!
Tito is now an international phenomenon. And how wonderful that a man from Egypt has taken to the West’s belly dance stages establishing himself as one of the greatest belly dancers and showmen today. Such development flies in the face of those American belly dance instructors, students, and performers who have long considered this art defunct in Egypt and dependent upon their kind support and cultivation.
- 8-14-09 Knowledge and Skills for Becoming an Excellent Performer: Sadie’s Complete Bellydancing Guide Secrets of the Stage Vol. 1 With Michelle Joyce
Common anxiety attacks that almost every dancer experiences before getting on stage are discussed
- 7-17-09 2 Balancing & Sword DVDs Reviewed: The Art of Sword and Shamadan by Princess Farhana DVD & Sword and Tray Balancing for Bellydancers with Cory &Laura
It’s a shame that this DVD wasn’t a remastered version.
- 12-19-08 Training Aids or Trainer’s Ads? 3 Books Reviewed
The E.D.A. Handbook for Middle Eastern Dance by David of Scandinavia, Tribal Vision by Paulette Rees-Denis, Belly Dance for the Versatile Dancer V. 1: Foundations by Zanbaka
- 1-8-2010 Jillina Advances Dance Theatre, A Review of Jillina’s Bellydance Evolution,
Bellydance Evolution is a full-length theatrical event directed by dancer and choreographer Jillina, ushering belly dance into the world of dance theater. The production is a melding of narrative with a wide variety of traditional and cutting-edge Middle Eastern dance and music. I saw the dress rehearsal of Bellydance Evolution when it debuted in Glendale, California in August, 2009.
- 12-13-09 Two Finger Cymbal Products reviewed: Belly Dancing Book & Kit Zill Speak, CD and Booklet by Artemis
The finger cymbals: The cheapest money can buy, likely made by orphaned children in a third world country, yet an exceptional value for $9 at Borders books.
- 12-4-09 Drum Solos: 3 Masterful Approaches, 1-2-3 Drum Solo with Bahaia, Arabic Rhythms and Combinations with Tamra-henna, Dynamic Drum Solo: Technique & Choreography with Sadie
Overall, if I were an advanced beginner through advanced intermediate student with only enough money for one of these videos, I’d purchase Arabic Rhythms and Combination with Tamra-henna.
- 11-6-09 Roads Less Traveled: 3 Unusual Audio CDs- Experiments in Bellydance by Rebecca Wolf-Nail, Passages by Middle-Earth Ensemble, Desert Winds by Transition,
Here’s a collection of music for those searching for something off the beaten path!
- 10-25-09 Astryd de Michele, A Workshop in Modern Egyptian Style
And can we please ask all workshop instructors to show their feet? Maybe even knees?
- 10-16-09 Tasting Cairo Stars in Your Home: Randa, Diana, Leila, Natasha’s Video Package- "Masters of Egyptian Choreography"
Begin with the interviews and you will benefit from an understanding of their individual teaching methods.
- 10-9-09 “Habibi, You are My What?..”DVD- Essential Arabic for Dancers, Vol 1 reviewed
However, I have never had such insight into the words as this DVD taught me! Now, thanks to Leyla, I have an added dimension to teach my students.