Friday Evening, Main Stage only
Photos by Carl Sermon
posted April 5, 2011
Rakkasah West Festival is held every year at various venues in the East Bay of San Francisco, California. Sponsored by Shukirya and Michelle Devine, this year the event was held at the Richmond Auditorium. This group of photos is from Friday, March 11, 2011. The band feature this day was Pangia of Mt Shasta, headed by Pat Olsen and Denise. More photos will be coming soon of the performances on Saturday and Sunday.
Ready for more?
2-10-11 Other Categories: Kids, Troupes, etc. Photos from the Belly Dancer of the Universe Competition
Melanie, Kat, Punkin, Shanti, Wiiz, Ahgaar Karyma, ALyeeza and Julian, Babylon Mood,…
- 1-30-11 Fun TImes at the Third Annual North Bay Belly Dance Bazaar, A Northern California Community Event by Katherine Goldsby and photos by Carl Sermon
Deborah Bennett and TerriAnne Gutierrez co-produced the third North Bay Bellydance Bazaar (NBBB) which was held on September 18 & 19, 2010 at the Sebastopol Community Center in Sonoma County, California.
- 1-25-11 The Fusion Category, Photos from the 20th Annual Belly Dancer of the Universe Competition by Carl Sermon
Amani Jabril, Apsara, Dilek, Eliza, Gina, Jane, Kellie, Khuzama, Lucia, Maria, Mireya, Rachel, Tiaja, Tracy, Valentine, Zondra
- 1-15-11 The Universal and Egyptian Category Finalists, Photos from the 20th Annual BDUC 2010 Photos by Carl Sermon
Kendra, Maria, Rachel, Samara, Dilek, Grinnelly, Katya, Masha
- 1-7-11- The Drum Solo Cartegory, Photos from the 2010 Belly Dancer of the Universe Competition by Carl Sermon
Aspira, Celestia, Erica, Evangaline, Gina, Innah, Jane, Jessica, Katya, Kenya, Lapis, Maiara, Maria, Masha, Nandi, Ninyshka, Rachel, Safira, Viridiana, Zondra
- 12-25-10 20th Annual BDUC 2010 Photos: Category Winners! Photos by Carl Sermon
Here are the champions of each category from the various contests held throughout the weekend. Gina, Dilek, Rachel, Katya, Jane, Melanie, Mireya, Roxanne, Viridiana, Wiiz
- 12-7-10 Photos from the 20th Annual BDUC 2010 Saturday Night’s Judges Celebrity Show, Photos by Carl Sermon
This is the 20th year and was held in the Long Beach Convention Center. Saturday night’s show featured all the workshop teachers and the judges for the many competions. More of Carl’s lovely photos from the competitions are yet to come!
- 9-26-10 A Dancer’s Perspecitive: 2010 Yaa Halla Y’all Belly Dance Competition by Iman, Photos by Carl Sermon and MsShuqa
Yaa Halla Y’all is an action-packed, four-day event for all styles of Belly dance: Tribal, Alternative, and Cabaret.
- 8-12-10 Abdominal Freakish Delights: Aboard The Queen Mary! Photo Report from MECDA’s Cairo Caravan 2010, June 4-6, 2010 PAGE 1 AND PAGE 2 by Ma*Shuqa Mira Murjan and Carl Sermon
Staying onboard the ship Queen Mary makes the event special and a unique and amazing experience As you walk the long curved and richly carpeted halls, you realize that you really are aboard a stately ship–named after a queen–a ship that once sailed the Atlantic Ocean.
- 3-31-11 On the Road, Queen of Denial, Chapter 4, by Rebaba
That night, I would find out that my arrival and subsequent feelings of having “made it to the top” couldn’t have been farther from the truth!
- 3-30-11 Joweh’s “Call to Dance” in Guatemala, Part 2 of Dream Trip to Guatemala by Chloe
Waiting in the wings of the nearly completely darkened stage, holding fire-colored fan-veils aloft, listening to the first strains of Egyptian orchestral music, I couldn’t help thinking that this experience was both familiar and foreign, in the literal and figurative sense.
- 3-29-11 The Magic of "The Grapleaf", 1976-1997 by Sausan
Back in the early ‘80s when I was performing at the Bagdad Cabaret on Broadway, a customer strolled into the Northbeach nightclub and told me about a little known restaurant
- 3-25-11 Is "Cabaret" a Dirty Word? Using the Terms Cabaret vs. Night Club by Leyla Lanty
So, is “cabaret” a dirty word? It depends on whose definition you want to use! In Arabic, the name “cabaret” is interpreted differently from what it is in English, leading to the confusion about nightclubs and cabarets. Here in the U.S., we think of a cabaret as a synonym for nightclub.
- 3-24-11 A Transformational Week, A Fan’s View of Jillina’s Weeklong Intensive Report by Sa’diyya of Texas
I think that’s another benefit of having scholarships in the world of Bellydance because it gives dancers another goal to work towards: “What do I have to do to rise to the occasion, to receive this other kind of award?”
- 3-17-11 Empowering Women in India through Belly Dance by Jasmine June and Samar
The company works with less fortunate and troubled families and women, and pays the women a decent sum for their crafts as a way of helping them out.
- 3-15-11 MaShuqa interviews Dahlal and Tim Kent on the Cairo Revolution for the Gilded Serpent Video report on the Community Kaleidoscope
In February 2011 while at the Belly Dancer of the Universe Competition, we catch Dahlal/Debbie Sinclair and Tim for an interview. Discussed are the affects of the curfews, blocked streets, and lack of cell phone coverage on the production of costume orders. They also talk about the difference between Cairo and US designed costumes.