Rakkasah 1984 and 1986 (25 years ago)
photos by Lynette
While taking a nostalgic look through my photo albums recently, I realized that if I was ever going to share these photos, I had better go ahead and scan them into the computer now before they deteriorate even more than they already have. Yes, they are discolored and blurred, but I think they will be of some value to those who pay attention to costume styles or those who were there and simply enjoy re-visiting the memories.
The Rakkasah Festival was held in the Scottish Rite Temple on Lake Merritt in Oakland, California, during these years. I was visiting from Bear Valley in 1984 and living in Oakland in 1986; where were you then? I was looking for a new mentor and Rakkasah was the place to be! My first mentor was in town for the 1986 fest. You can see her in #31- Yolanda Leaird.
Please help GS identify the faces in these photos. They have been numbered so that you can comment directly about each one. The smaller photos are from originals that were blurred or in poor condition.
If you would like another Gilded Serpent Time Capsule opened soon, please let The Snake know!
4. Unknown father and daughter
5. Sweet blond — Atea?
6. Her name starts with an S….
7. Mimi and Lasandra or Casandra (?)
8. John Compton doing a bellyroll?
9. The bagpiper is Paul Dessau, Uncle Mafufo, John, Robaire, Michael Gruber, Sulimon on mizmar, Sean Folsom.
12. Tamborine blond
13. Troupe Tangiers
14. Mystery troupe #1 Carol Fitzsimmons is #2 from l-r
15. Unknown candlabra troupe
16. Sadira‘s Troupe, Robaire on right and Paul relaxing with a duff
18. Raks Al Mu’sad – also part of Troupe Tangiers
23.Roxanna (r) and Shoshana (Susan) (l) from Sacramento
24. Marcia tries on a Costless coin belt
25. Feiruz and Harry Soroyan
26. Kathy Ferguson dancing to Brother of the Baladi
27. Unknown dancer looks over the balconey in the lobby
28. Marcia tries on a head piece
29. Pepper and friends by the Costless booth
30. Veils- Is this Aziza!‘s booth?
31. Yolanda Leaird was part of Perfumes of Araby. Dawn is and old friend from Columbia, California, who has since passed away.
32. Kayla, her daughter and Medusa (my snake)
34. Unknown troupe
35. Vendors of head thingys
38. Shamire of New Hampshire
39. Dancer needing a magic touch.
41. Cane Dancer–Lili – formerly of San Luis Obispo
43. Pepper stands in back of her troupe
44. Member of Sabah‘s troupe
45. Another unknown troupe–is this the same troupe as above under 1984 as Mystery troupe #1?
46. Gypsy Caravan
47. Gypsy Caravan
48. Is this Sage?
49. Gypsy Caravan
51. The other Mish Mish?
52. Ugly pants!
53. Cave Woman! – Kathleen Young?
55. Michael Beach performing behind Ganapatti
56. Rhea of Athens
57 and 58.Troupe Mandala of Shasta. This is Denise (of Pangia in Mt Shasta) on on the left with Zadora of Redding, CA, the gal in the blue in the background, who passed away in 1991or 2…. #58 is Ayesha of Medford, OR
59. Samira of Davis
63. Unknown dancer. Another crocheted skirt and head piece.
64. Silk Road man with sword –maybe
65. Sharlyn and Silk Road Dance Ensemble
66. Silk Road Dance Ensemble
Ready for more?
- 4-14-00 Rakkasah Festival 2000 Photos- photography and layout
Friday Night – Leila Haddad, Daila Carella and more!
Saturday afternoon Photos -posted 4-20-00
Saturday night Photos- posted 5-6-00
Sunday Photos- posted 5-6-00
— layout needs serious reformatting- remember that monitors were smaller in these days!
- 6-29-11 Photos from Rakkasah West 2011, Pg 4: Sunday M-Z
Maria, Nadika, Naiya-Hayal, Onyx Moon, Oreet, Raks Al Khalil, Raks Terayz, Raks the Casbah, Reda Darwish, Ruby, Sabiba, Sassafras, Shimmy Amour, Tatseena’s Troupe, Terry, Titanya, Troupe Aneena, Yolanda, Zahara
- 5-3-11 Rakkasah West Festival 2011, Saturday, Page 2" J-Z
This group of photos is from Saturday, March 12, 2011. Bands in the background include: Vince Delgado and Coralee, The Mediterranean Raqs Band, Pangia, and Al’Azifoon
- 4-18-11 Fashion Trend Report 2011 What’s New This Year at Rakkasah?
What I noticed, first and foremost, was not the costuming, but rather, a change in the sellers themselves. The seller demographic has radically altered, creating a new vendor landscape. Without a doubt, this is a response to the on-going sluggish economy and the need for companies to reduce expenses. The reduction in costumes and products coming out of Egypt also affected the merchandise. Many small factories had a gap in production, and shipping has become even more problematic.
- 4-18-11 Rakkasah West Fest 2011, Saturday, Page 1: A-J
Afrita, Ahava, Ava Fleming, Bala Anat, Al Azifoon, Alea, Alnisa, Aruba, Banat El Hoggar, Black Diamond, Black Opal, Dancer of the Crescent Moon, Dancers of the Pharoah, Desert Heat Dancers, Elnora and Rhonda, Fringe Benefits, Hamsa, Hanna Lissa, Jasmine Jennifer, Jewels of the North
- 4-5-11 Rakkasah West Fest 2011, Friday Evening, Main Stage Only,
Aisha, Arabian Jewels, Azura, Dancers of Denile, Ariellah and Deshreet, Tatseena and Dreams of Cleopatra, Elnora, Ghanima, Goddess Force, Halima, Diana, Inami, Khalilah, Latifa, Kiyoko, Leila Haddad, Shaida, Shadya, Tanya, Zia!
- 3-15-05 Rakkasah From a Vendor’s
Ah, Rakkasah! For many years the highlight of my vending year! A wonderful idea that has gradually faded over time….
- 11-15-11 2011 Eliat Festival with T and A!
Eilat is a bustling attraction for many tourists, boasting world class beaches, diving, and great weather, which was one reason that we picked this destination in January!
- 11-12-11 Simona Minisini of Italy Video Interview
In June, 2011, Gilded Serpent was present at the Mediterranean Delight Festival in Marrakech, Morocco (produced by Simona Guzman). There we were able to get some time with Simona Minisini of Palmanova, Italy. She told us about her school, the coming World Dance Tropy Competition and her own history in Oriental dance. She and her husband Igor have a studio called Club Sunshine with mutiple dance rooms, 2 pools and a "Bed and Breakfast". This video also included a sample of her performance at the festival in Morocco.
- 11-10-11 A Month in Cairo, Egypt,
Report No. 3: Fresh Eggs and the Festival Begins, Ahlan Wa Sahlan, Part 1
One of the aspects of AWS that I enjoy most is the contact it offers with dancers not only from Egypt, both Egyptian and foreign-born, but from all over the world. It’s a rare opportunity to find out that our dance idols are real people who are warm, friendly, and eager to share their knowledge.
- 11-7-11 Jillina Drum Solo Video from International Bellydance Conference of Canada
Jillina dances for drummer, Suleiman Warwar. This performance was held at the Acrobat Lounge in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 11-4-11 SFBA MECDA Gala Show & Festival 2010
Produced by the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Middle Eastern Culture and Dance Association, held on November 15, 2010, in the Hillview Community Center in Los Altos, CA
- 11-2-11 Radio Bastet, Where the Hafla Never Stops! An Interview with Its Creator, Marisa Young
Here’s one thing that is very frustrating: finding out that you have two or three copies of the exact same record, released on different labels, with different artists names, different track names and arrangements, and different covers!
When did Ballet become a requisite for Belly dance, and why is it stated that it should be an essential part of a Belly dancer’s daily regimen?