A Few Photos from Tribal Fest 2013 on May 18, 2013
by Alisha Westerfeld and Lynette
posted September 18, 2013
Anahid Sofian‘s class on floorwork, she is assisted by Kamille.
Another class – Asharah?
Aubre‘s Qabila Folklore Company
Portico Dance Co and Samantha Riggs?
Team Gothla UK?
Belly Funk of Oregon?
Lady in a striped bra
Sarah of Wicked Smiley
A fashionable vendor
Davina and friends- Ahsa World Dancers?
Producers of event- www.blacksheepbellydance.com/
Ready for more?
- 8-11-11 Gigbag Check #30 – Suhaila Salimpour
Suhaila take us on a tour through her gig bag and what is important for her to have with her for performance. This video was shot in May 2011 in the dressing room at Tribal Fest in Sebastopol, California.
- 1-18-11 Europe’s Newest Dance Destinataion, Split Tribal Festival in Croatia
It’s like an Italy that one can actually afford, due to the fact that it is not yet an European Union country, and therefore not subject to the massive cost of living spikes of EU member nations.
- 6-28-08 Tribal Fest 2008, Saturday May,17 2008, Sebastopol, CA
Event Produced by BlackSheep BellyDance and held in the Sebastolpol Community Center, photos and performance clips of Hahbi’Ru, Unmata, Sexy Scallywags, Romka, Tempest, Clandestine, Titanya, RockRose, Natium, Sabrina
- 6-26-06 The Spirit of the Dance: A Response to the Criticism of my Tribal Fest 2006 “Pierced Wings” Performance
I was originally hesitant to write this article regarding my Tribal Fest 2006 “Pierced Wings” performance as I personally believe that a performance should not have to be explained by the artist,
rather it should rely on what it evokes in others.
- 5-26-06 Sashi – Kabob
The punctures appear to go under the skin into the subcutaneous fat layer and not through muscle tissue.
- 6-2-06 Tribal Fest 2006, May 19 in Sebastopol
Performances from Saturday late afternoon including: BlackSheep, Sashi, InFusion…
- 7-18-03 The Sacred Surprise of Tribal Fest 3
However, I now understand, in retrospect, that I had been really drawn to Tribal Fest 3 for another reason.
- 6-10-03 Tribal Fest 3 photos
Event produced by Ellen Cruz and Kajira, held May 17 and 18, 2003, in Sebastopol, CA
- 1-20-13 Behind the Scenes, 3rd Coast Tribal Festival
I had never been to a tribal dance convention before, even though I have been a professional (Egyptian style) belly dancer for 40 years. From my “glitz and tits” perspective, this belly dance offshoot wasn’t something I recognized as mine.
- 10-16-12 Kajira and Chuck Interview, Cultural Appropriation or Artistic Freedom? Part 4: Rise of Tribal Fusion ,
The Rise of Tribal Fusion. New terms- Spontaneous Group Improvisation, International or Improvisation Tribal Style. "Tribal Fest chronicles the rise of Tribal Fusion." Tribaret. No codification in our dances. Big difference betweem Tribal Fusion and Cabaret– Isolations, torso, arm movements. Kajira became certified in Rachel Brice’s format. ATS is a subset of Spontanteous Group Improv.
- 9-15-13 Interviews with Saida and Yamil A Five Part Video Talk with Two Stars of Argentina, Part 2:The Internet and Students,
We talk the Internet and how much Yamil and Saida use it in their daily lives and with their students.
- 9-12-13 Interviews with Saida and Yamil A Five Part Video Talk with Two Stars of Argentina, Part 1: Response to Rosalba’s Article,
In this first section, Saida objects to one point in a recent article about her teaching. Other portions of this interview will be coming soon.
We catch Mesmera and a student backstage at the Cairo Carnival 2013 on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. She is getting ready to perform at the "World of Tomorrow" gala show. She hams it up showing us her Isis wings and her lipstick.
- 9-8-13 Dancing for Tourists in Istanbul, A Personal Impression
Additionally, their friendly and respectful relationship was highlighted when she finished her show, dancing to each instrument separately, and in this way she introduced each of the musicians. Such a relationship between dancer and musicians is not widely seen in today’s restaurant atmosphere… unfortunately.
- 9-6-13 Gigbag Check #47 with Rosa Noreen on the CK
Rosa Noreen is a belly dancer from Portland Maine. We caught her backstage at the gala show at Cairo Caravan 2013 held on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. She is the newly elected secretary for MECDA- the Middle Eastern Culture and Dance Association. She tells us about her costume-"FrankinHoda" and her MAC lipstick.
I immediately made new friends and was surprised to find the multi-national composure of our 200+ people crowd – I befriended a dancer from Holland and another from Columbia, although the majority of the dancers were from Japan and other far-east countries.
- 8-24-13 Because I’m Worth It! The Perils of Pricing
There is a difference between "daring" and "working for free, undercutting other dancers, and misunderstanding the economics of pricing whilst mindlessly genuflecting to celebrity culture."